<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, January 25, 2004

Squid Luau 

They say that you don't know what you got until you don't have it any more. Well, what I don't have is squid luau. It's a Hawaiian dish consisting of squid, taro leaves and coconut milk. Sure, to most people it doesn't sound delicious, and the final product looks like something you'd find in a diaper, but I can assure you that it is indeed MOST delicious. The flavor is hard to describe, perhaps because it's been so long since I've had some, but let me try -- it's sweet and succulent and juicy and tender and beautiful.

Dare I say I'm in love?

The problem is that I no longer live in Hawaii. It makes me sad. This feeling reminds me of a song from that old long distance commercial where a young woman reminisces about her family back home...

Far away and out of touch
People I know I love so much
I do believe this ocean
Is far too wide for me

Thinking back to times with you
There's nothing else I'd rather do
I do believe this ocean
Is far too wide for me...


And those people were only on different islands! I'm 2500 miles away! Anyway, if anyone knows of a place in the Los Angeles/Orange County area that has good squid luau, or any squid luau for that matter, please holler if ya hear me!