<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, January 30, 2004

Tourism 

Looks like Google has pigeonholed my blog. I mention a few things about Hawaii and my love for squid luau, and look what happens. If you look at the top of my page, you'll probably see the banner ad selling stuff like Hawaiian-style party supplies and tiki torches. What the frick? Why don't I just wear a grass skirt and do the hula while I'm at it? I feel so dirty!

Living in Los Angeles these past three years, I've been able to see many different images of Hawaii, most of which are presented to the mainland in "tropical paradise" ads. Just from seeing these images, I would never know what Hawaii was really like. The islands have a lot of natural beauty, but the ads just make it seem so polished and fake. If I didn't know better, I would think the whole state is one big frat luau made up entirely of hotels and beaches, with the occasional volcano.

I do understand that the Hawaii Tourism Authority has to doll up the state to make all the tourists with fat wallets want to come. After all, tourism plays an enormous role in Hawaii's economy. I'm sure they don't want to mention anything bad in their ads, like Hawaii's HUGE crystal meth problem. Unless they believed more people would visit because of it. "Visit beautiful Hawaii, and while you're there, smoke enough ice to stay awake for the entire trip so it'll seem like you're there longer."

Oh well, in the meantime, perhaps I should consider upgrading to BlogSpot Pro, or whatever it's called, so there's no ads. Or maybe I should just mention sex toys a lot, then maybe I'll get ads for dildos!