<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, April 03, 2004

Poor Wilbur 

I was out in my yard today, talking to my friends because my cell phone reception isn't so great indoors (AT&T, you bastards) and I saw something that reminded me of a great story from childhood.



If you couldn't tell from the picture, those are baby spiders...ring any bells?

Charlotte's Web! Yes yes? Oh that takes me back. I don't remember much of the book, but the animated film had a great impact on me. As a 3rd grader seeing it for the first time, it had me bawling like a baby.

I don't want to give too much away if you haven't seen or read it already, but Charlotte is a spider, and there's a scene towards the end of the movie where Charlotte's children are flying away on wisps of spiderwebs, with poor Wilbur, the broken-hearted pig and friend of Charlotte's, looking on with bittersweet longing. I can't tell you how much I was feeling that pig.

And so these baby spiders brought back those same emotions today, as they waited for a gust of wind to take them away to some other part of the yard. Sigh.

I hope they're not poisonous.