<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, March 13, 2004

Meow, Ffft Ffft 

Normally my weekends are for sleeping in, watching TV, and lounging about, naked and decadent. But since I promised to edit one of those happy couple video/photo montages for my friend Dave’s upcoming wedding, and since he’s waited till the last minute to send all the photos to me, my weekend is now all about work.

And that’s okay, because Dave was one of my best friends growing up. He and I liked the same music, had the same sense of humor, would finish each other's sentences, all that same wavelength stuff. But perhaps because I'm reminiscing over that, I’m now somewhat…melancholy. Dave, who used to be all about the rock & roll, wants to use some really sappy songs in the montage – including not one, but two duets by Aaron Neville and Linda Ronstadt.

This in itself wouldn’t be cause for concern, but to me, it’s yet another painful reminder of the long slow descent into lameness Dave has succumbed to in the years since meeting his fiancée -- who happens to be a great person in her own right. Hope that last part didn’t sound too much like a disclaimer.

I guess I’m just sad that, as I’m getting ready to fly back home next week, I'm reminded more and more of how much people change, and how "you can never really go back home."

Yes, your best friend may look the same as he once did, he may walk and talk the same, but in reality he's dead inside. He's merely a zombie going through the motions. And no matter how much you scream at him, he won’t wake up!

Okay, that’s a bit mean. He's my friend after all. I mean, I’ve changed since high school, so why can’t he? He's still a cool guy, and as long as he’s happy, and his fiancée is happy - which they are - then I should just be quiet, grow up, and be happy for them.

And I am.

I'm just sad to see my friend go.

UPDATE: Dave is actually still really cool. It is I who am the asshole. Selfish, selfish asshole.