<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Randomly Remembered Geek-Out 

When I was about 12 years old, my mom, sister and I went to visit my mom's friend Helen, who had just had a baby. For most of our time there, me and my sis watched TV in the living room while my mom and Helen talked in the kitchen. Around noon, my mom told us to come into the kitchen to meet the baby, who had just awoken.

And when we entered the kitchen, indeed there was the baby...suckling on Helen's naked breast. This was unexpected.

Back then, I was just beginning to discover girls, and so the sight of a semi-nude woman, baby or not, threw me for a loop. All I could think about was "booby!" But in that setting, it was more awkward than titillating.

Trying to hide my embarrassment a bit, I quickly decided to break the ice by saying the first thing that came to mind. So I pointed to the baby, turned to my sister and said, "Look, that's what we used to drink!"

In my head, it sounded like the right thing to say. But instead of making light of an awkward situation, I made it even more awkward and slightly disturbing. I'm sure I embarrassed my mom because the only thing she said in response was "Ahem." My sister said nothing and avoided eye contact with me. Helen, ever so understanding, let out a little laugh and changed the subject, which was very much appreciated.

Oh well, as was evidenced that day and in the coming years, it's sometimes rough-going trying to be Mr. Smooth.